Science City is an autonomous organisation of the Government of Tamil Nadu functioning under the
aegis of the Department of Higher Education. The Science City has been registered under the Tamil Nadu Societies Registration Act,
1975. The geographic boundaries of the Science City as demarcated by the Government are the Buckingham Canal as the
Eastern Boundary, 100 feet Road, Tharamani as the Southern Boundary, Velachery Road as the Western Boundary and the
Adayar River as the Northern Boundary. This area demarcated as the Science City consists of a unique agglomeration of
more than 69 educational and research institutions.
The prime objectives of the Science City are
- Popularisation of science among school and college students, researchers and the general public by organising seminars,
workshops, conferences, popular lectures, training programmes and so on.
- To honour Scientist with the “Tamil Nadu Lifetime Achievement Award in Research” for their outstanding contribution in research.
- To encourage and honour Senior Scientists who have contributed immensely to Science that is beneficial to the society with the “Tamil Nadu Senior Scientists Award”
- To encourage and honour Young Scientists who have contributed immensely to Science that is beneficial to the society with the “Tamil Nadu young Scientists Award”
- To identify Rural Innovators from Tamil Nadu and honour them with the “Rural Innovator Awards”.
- To identify Science Teachers who have played a important role in the progress and overall development of
students by creating interest in science among them and to bestow on them the “Best Science Teacher Award”.